Today’s treat is salted caramel.
If you are like me and absolutely loves salted caramel, THEN you are going to love this recipe!! Yuuuum.. 🙂
Sweet caramel cake covered with deliciously thick salted caramel frosting. I mean, how much better does it get? I love this recipe because the caramel flavor is so rich and intense, and every bite is so worth it – even though my thighs and bum don’t agree 😉
When I decided to make these mini cakes I knew I had to make the cake extra moist in order to prevent the cut out pieces from drying out. So, I added 50 ml of oil even though this cake has a lot of butter, which in fact is essential to the caramel flavor. This cake is super moist due to the butter, oil, eggs and brown sugar.
See recipe below.
Let the cake cool before using cookie cutter.
Transfer pieces to a piece of baking paper.
Tip: Make sure that the cakes are leveled and that the frosting in between is of the same amount.
If you want you can also leave the cake like this.
Føroysk umseting av uppskriftini: Lítlar Saltaðar Karamel Lagkøkur
Salted Caramel Mini Cakes
200 g flour
¾ tsk baking powder
½ tsk salt
200 g brown sugar
100 g sugar
Salted caramel Frosting:
120 g butter
200 g brown sugar
100 ml cream
240-360 g icing sugar
You will need a knife and a round cookie cutter.
1 tsk vanilla sugar/paste/essence
120 ml full cream milk
120 g melted butter
50 ml oil
Turn on oven 175 C and place baking paper in baking tray. Set aside.
1. In a bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. In a small saucepan melt the butter. Meanwhile, in a separate large bowl mix sugar and eggs until light and fluffy. Add the melted butter, vanilla and beat until completely combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Slowly stir in the milk and oil and, remember, not over beat the batter.
2. Pour mixture onto a large baking tray and place in the middle of oven, and bake for 15-20 minutes. The batter should be thin on the baking tray, because we want thin pieces to layer for our mini cake. Let the cake cool completely before using the round cookie cutter.
3. While the cake is cooling – make the frosting. Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Once melted add the sugar, salt and cream and stir until the sugar has completely dissolved. Let it slightly bubble before removing it from heat. Place the mixture in a separate bowl to allow cooling at room temperature for about 20 minutes until it sort of ‘sets’. Do not place it in the refrigerator.
4. Once the caramel has cooled; with a hand mixer add icing sugar little by little until you have reached the desired consistency. Add more salt if it tastes too sweet.
5. Once cake is completely cooled use cookie cutter to cut out circles for the mini cake. We want three pieces for each mini cake. Place frosting between each layer and finish by cover completely with frosting. Decorate with chocolate.