As I was researching on how to make tiramisu cupcakes I found two versions on how to make them. The first one I found was at The Not So Creative Cook’s blog. Her recipe looks delicious but is rather different from Martha Stewart’s. I decided to try out The Not So Creative Cook’s one and I must say it is absolutely delicious. 🙂 If you want you can leave out the chocolate powder and keep it as a regular vanilla cupcake and dip it with the coffee mixture (with some liqueur if desired) just as Martha Stewart does. 🙂
Tip: When using vanilla pods – mix all the delicious vanilla corns with a bit of sugar to separate the corns for ultimate flavor.
Tiramisu Cupcakes Recipe
Makes 12 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
8 Tbsp of super strong coffee
80 ml of Oil
180 g Flour
230 g Sugar
2 Tbsp of Cocoa Powder
¼ tsp of Baking Soda
¼ tsp of Salt
1 tsp of Vanilla Extract/Paste
3 Tbsp of Milk
250 ml Heavy Cream
280 g Mascarpone cheese
75 g Icing Sugar (Confectioners’ sugar)
Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius, line a cupcake pan with liners and set aside.
1. In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa and set aside.
2. In a large measuring cup or a mug, add the warm water and instant espresso and let it sit for a few minutes.
3. In a large bowl, cream together the eggs and sugar until you reach a light and fluffy mixture. Then add vanilla, milk and vegetable oil, coffee and mix everything together so that you have a smooth mixture.
4. Add the dry ingredients and mix them in just enough to combine but not over mixing.
5. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool completely.
To make the topping:
Beat the cream in an electric mixer until stiff. Make sure you don’t overbeat it. In a different bowl, beat Mascarpone cheese until fluffy, add icing sugar and beat until smooth ( I also added a bit of vanilla). Gently fold cream into cheese mixture. Pipe immediately onto cupcakes and drizzle with cocoa powder.
Note: The mistake I did was that I forgot the icing sugar to my topping, which made it look rough and over beaten. 😦 But it still tasted delicious 🙂
If you love tiramisu then this recipe is exactly for you 🙂